Over the past couple of months, I’ve received a ton of inquiries asking when Better Font Awesome would support the latest batch of icons in Font Awesome 5+. It’s been a long time coming, but I’m happy to announce that the Better Font Awesome v2 beta is ready for testing!
The feature list for BFA 2 is short and sweet:
- Add support Font Awesome 5+!
- Auto-map legacy icons to their newer versions (e.g.
car), so you don’t have to think about it
- Integrate icon keywords into icon search for improved results
- Show icon name (instead of class) when hovering over icon options (makes it easier to find the icon you’re looking for)
- Preserve support for all earlier versions of Font Awesome
I would very much appreciate your help testing the new version and ensuring it is rock-solid before releasing the stable version for widespread use. I have tested extensively, both with automated CI tests to ensure support for PHP versions 5.3-7.1, as well as considerable user testing of all new features to ensure things are working as expected. That said, many eyes are always better than one. If you have time/interest, please have a look and I’ll be more than happy to give you a shoutout on the official plugin page.
- Download the latest beta version
- Make sure you have some way to access the filesystem on your server (FTP, SSH, automated build/deploy, etc). Nothing is expected to act wonky, but if it does, it’s always nice to be able to quickly disable the plugin.
- Install the downloaded beta version of BFA (either via the admin or direct upload)
- Start testing!
Things to test
- Does installation go smoothly?
- Do you get any errors during the process?
- Go to
Settings → Better Font Awesome
- Is your previous Font Awesome version selection preserved?
- Are you able to select versions greater than 5?
- Go to
- Update process
- Are you able to update and revert versions without issue?
- Are all of your icons still properly showing on the frontend?
- Are legacy icons being correctly auto-mapped to their newer versions (see the list of updated icons)?
- Anything else you notice?
First of all – THANK YOU FOR TESTING! I very much appreciate your help
If you do come across any issues or outstanding questions, please create a new thread on the official support page and prefix the title with
[Beta Test]. I will be monitoring these support threads closely and will do my best to respond to any feedback as quickly as possible.
. . . for your interest and feedback. BFA has received overwhelming support since its inception, and the positive reception makes it such a fun project to work on. Looking forward to releasing a stable version into the wild very soon. . .
8 thoughts on “Better Font Awesome 2 ready for testing!”
Cool plugin , I ujst installed it on my site https://www.portraitflip.com/
Awesome. Thank you so much for you kind efforts. Cheers!
Is there a possibility to enable keep-alive for host jsdelivr.net?
P.S. I do not see the contact form to send message directly 🙂
Just found this beta – and start testing now… Thanks for your work!
Hi Mickey, I’m working on a plugin that needs Font-Awesome for icons, both back and front-end (because of a preview system). On the WordPress directory it says your plugin has only been updated a year ago. I would like to know if you will maintain it (or work on the BFA2 release) in the future.
I don’t want to include the library (FA) one more time, with version conflicts and all that, so I will have to recommend a plugin for this, and use it on my own plugin’s demo page. I think yours is very good, I just have to make sure it’ll be around and up-to-date (not saying it’s not) in the future, as I’m going to mention you in the docs.
I hope you read this and give me an answer. Keep up the good work.
NB: Can’t post my real email address
Cool plugin, I just installed it on my site https://www.justincanvas.com/