Over the past couple of months, I’ve received a ton of inquiries asking when Better Font Awesome would support the latest batch of icons in Font Awesome 5+. It’s been a long time coming, but I’m happy to announce that the Better Font Awesome v2 beta is ready for testing!
The feature list for BFA 2 is short and sweet:
- Add support Font Awesome 5+!
- Auto-map legacy icons to their newer versions (e.g.
car), so you don’t have to think about it
- Integrate icon keywords into icon search for improved results
- Show icon name (instead of class) when hovering over icon options (makes it easier to find the icon you’re looking for)
- Preserve support for all earlier versions of Font Awesome
I would very much appreciate your help testing the new version and ensuring it is rock-solid before releasing the stable version for widespread use. I have tested extensively, both with automated CI tests to ensure support for PHP versions 5.3-7.1, as well as considerable user testing of all new features to ensure things are working as expected. That said, many eyes are always better than one. If you have time/interest, please have a look and I’ll be more than happy to give you a shoutout on the official plugin page.
- Download the latest beta version
- Make sure you have some way to access the filesystem on your server (FTP, SSH, automated build/deploy, etc). Nothing is expected to act wonky, but if it does, it’s always nice to be able to quickly disable the plugin.
- Install the downloaded beta version of BFA (either via the admin or direct upload)
- Start testing!
Things to test
- Does installation go smoothly?
- Do you get any errors during the process?
- Go to
Settings → Better Font Awesome
- Is your previous Font Awesome version selection preserved?
- Are you able to select versions greater than 5?
- Go to
- Update process
- Are you able to update and revert versions without issue?
- Are all of your icons still properly showing on the frontend?
- Are legacy icons being correctly auto-mapped to their newer versions (see the list of updated icons)?
- Anything else you notice?
First of all – THANK YOU FOR TESTING! I very much appreciate your help
If you do come across any issues or outstanding questions, please create a new thread on the official support page and prefix the title with
[Beta Test]. I will be monitoring these support threads closely and will do my best to respond to any feedback as quickly as possible.
. . . for your interest and feedback. BFA has received overwhelming support since its inception, and the positive reception makes it such a fun project to work on. Looking forward to releasing a stable version into the wild very soon. . .